Thursday, September 17, 2009

That was then...

Hayden at 15 months old (Aug. 2005)

Hayden 1 years old (May 2005)

This is now....



Hayden was our little Linus who carried around a blanket and sucked his thumb. Hayden never really had any interest in a pacifier. He pretty much sucked his thumb from the get go.

Madelynn never really showed any interest in sucking her thumb. She will chew on it occasionally due to teething but she really likes her Nuk (aka Pacifier).

With Maddy we wanted to encourage the Nuk since it is a lot harder to break the thumb sucking habit. Hayden probably still would be sucking his thumb if he hadn't had to quit cold turkey last Dec. Remember the whole knocking the front tooth loose....that was what forced him to quit.

And yet, as night falls and I go to bed I wonder. Do I really like pacifiers better?? Certainly not at night. Not at 1am or 3 am when Madelynn has knocked her pacifiers out of her crib, has woken up and wants her Nuk back. Doesn't matter if I put a couple extra in the crib they all disappear.

It is then that I miss my thumb sucking sleeper who could always find his thumb.

2 comments:

Sarah Wroblewski said...

Charley was a nuk addict and Henry is a nuk addict. We are trying to let him only have it in his bed. But I ended up putting his bumper pad thingy back in his crib...even though they say it is a no no for SIDS. It keeps the nuks from falling OUT of the crib. We also put like 10 nuks in there at the start. Good luck!

Heather (One Take On Life) said...

Thanks Sarah! I have been thinking about buying a breathable bumper and try that.